The Top 5 Things I have Learned
It has been one year since I started working at the Missoulian Angler and on the MAngler. I have learned more about Missoula and the fly fishing culture around it then I ever knew existed. This is a list of the top five things I have learned over the past year.
5. Zap a Gap and Zip kicker burn the hell out of your fingers when applied one after the other. You would think I would learn. Really. It hurts.
4. Folks who fly fish can be incredibly competitive when it comes to lawn games. They can forget about missed fish, but they will loose sleep over a lost washers game.
3. Ron Beck and Aaron Shattuck have fished your secret spot. They have been doing it for years, and have caught fish out of it you didn’t even know existed. Just accept that and it gets easier. Kind of.
2. The folks who shop at The MAngler are fishy people. They aren’t in here to buy a puffy jacket or pretend that they get out all the time. They are the ones we see on the water. I like that a lot. The Missoulian Angler is the real anglers shop. Hands down.
1. The guys in this shop are the most patient fly shop staff I have ever met. They really care about getting people into fish. They get excited when someone brings in fish photos with the fly they helped pick out hanging out of the big ones’ mouth. Beginners or experts it doesn’t matter, these guys will tell you how it is and where to go. No B.S. point in the wrong direction. Good people.
It has been a blast working with all of the people who come into the shop. The customers are the ones that make this place so great. Thanks to the all MAnglers out there. Keep it up and get out there.
P.s.- The Salmonflies are ten miles up the creek. Call in sick and get after it. Life is too short to not go fishing.