Big Water Is Here
The water around Missoula looks more like the milk in a bowl of Coco Puffs than the stuff we catch trout in. But that’s whats supposed to happen this time of year. It’s okay. The grass will still be green and the sun is still going to come up in the morning.
That being said. It’s time to panic. For a few reasons.
1. THERE’S NO WHERE TO GO FISHING!
– The lakes and smaller creeks around Missoula offer much more than a lifetimes worth of fishing opportunities and they are totally fishable right now. But really, there is nowhere to go fishing.
2. YOU DIDN’T TIE ENOUGH FLIES FOR THE SEASON
– You skied the gnar pow all winter and spent too much time at Charlies and didn’t get around to the 5 dozen rubber legs and 10 dozen worms you told yourself you were going to tie this year. Too bad you don’t have something like 3 weeks at the start of summer to beef up the fly boxes. You know, like sometime when you couldn’t fish because the water was too high. You know something like that….
3. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO BE A TROUT BUM FOR A WEEKEND OR A MONTH
– This is the perfect time of year to pack all of your fishing and camping gear in the rig and just start driving. Montana has so much to offer and there isn’t enough time to see half of it. Run off is a great time to bum around living out of the back of your car eating around a campfire. Tailwaters like The Beaverhead and The Missouri and smaller creeks and lakes that you have always wanted to explore but didn’t want to leave the “Sure thing” around Missoula. Get out and explore something new.
Run Off sucks. No two ways around it. But don’t let High Water win. Get out and explore, Tie Flies, and see something new. Stop by the shop and we will help you get ready for a month of Trout Bum Heaven.
…Because You Fish